2009/7/2 mike wilson <m.9.wil...@ntlworld.com>:
> Newspaper, vinegar and elbow grease.

Newspaper as a glass polisher is a hangover from the good/bad old days
when newsprint ink contained carbon black, the same stuff that
Lenspens use.  Modern newsprint ink is plastic based and will only
contribute to more smudginess.

CD/DVD cleaning spray is effective and mostly harmless to transparent
plastics if the platen isn't glass.  I believe they're essentially
isopropyl alcohol.  Paper towels contain wood fibre which could be
abrasive.  A well worn, well washed cotton handkerchief is one of the
best cleaning cloths around, because it is absorbent and collects the
grease that the cleaning liquid has released.  Microfibre cloths are
great for buffing cleaning marks off a clean but streaky surface, but
if there's any grease about they'll spread it everywhere as they have
no absorbency.

Once the plate is clean, keep a broad, soft brush handy for whisking
away dust.  I use a sable makeup blusher that has lived on my desk for
years.

regards, Anthony

   "Of what use is lens and light
    to those who lack in mind and sight"