On Jul 2, 2009, at 2:53 PM, mike wilson wrote:

Joseph McAllister wrote:

On Jul 1, 2009, at 10:46 , paul stenquist wrote:
I'd go with a wire brush and kitchen cleanser. You want to make sure you get all the dirt off.
We're not talking cylinder heads here Paul. I'd hate to see your windshield! :—)

Humor aside, I wouldn't use a wire brush on a cylinder head either. Certainly not on the valve seats or the gasket mating surface. The proper way to prepare the gasket surface, once any grease or sealant has been removed with a solvent, is with a large, flat, dull file and even strokes. Valve pockets can be cleaned with a wire brush on a drill, but if the valve seats don't need regrinding, lapping compound, the valve, and a lapping stick are the proper cleaning tools.

Hey, I get serious about cylinder heads:-).
Paul

You certainly wouldn't be able to see _through_ it....

Paul