On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 08:04:19PM -0500, Christine  Aguila scripsit:
> Hi Everyone:
>
> Construction on the superstructure has finally begun--permits all sorted!
> One of those rods weighs nearly a quarter of a ton, and the whole cage > weighs about 1500 pounds. I have to say, I'm rather proud of #2--and > check out that tattoo! Any boo-boos let me know ;-) .

Christine, someone's pulling your leg.

The verticals for the column look like 20 foot sections of #11 rebar which would make them almost 110 lbs each. (5.313 pounds/foot)

The bands are #4 rebar - I'd guess 9 - 10 foot length bent into 2 foot squares - roughly 6.6 pounds each. (.668 pound/foot)

The first four bands near the end are set on 4 inch centers, but it looks like it changes to 6" centers after that. I make it about 30 bands altogether.

 4 x 110 = 440
30 x 6.6 = 198

The whole column assembly is no more than 650 pounds. It might be 800 pounds if the verticals are #14 rebar, but I don't think so.

When I was younger I worked as a rod-buster on a nuclear plant. We schlepped around 60 foot #18 bars (2.25" diameter - 13.6 pounds/foot)all day with a crew of 8 men.

I started the job as a trainee when it was a hole 200 feet into the ground and was laid off as a journeyman just after we reached 350 feet above ground level.

From there I went to a job building a prison and then to building a research facility that now houses CREE Inc, the LED people ...

My last job as a rod-buster was building the dam for the lake to hold the cooling water for the nuclear plant I started out on.