From: mike wilson
Nitpick this:
8-) Steel is just under 500lbs/cubic foot (1728 cu ins)
If that is 3" x 12ft bar, it comes out to just over 0.5cubic foot (1018 cu ins)
If it's 2" x 12ft, then its about 0.25cubic foot (453 cu ins)
I leave the rest of the arithmetic to you.

It's not 3" diameter bars. They don't even make 3"D rebar. The largest size size they make is #18 - 18/8 inch in diameter, aka 2-1/4"D (actually 2.257"D).

In the photos they look like #11 rebar, 1.41"D at 5.313lb per linear foot, although it could be #14 rebar, 1.693"D at 7.650lb per linear foot.

I just don't think it is #14 because in my experience #11 would be specified. Why use more expensive #14 when #11 is good enough?

Looking at the number of bands, they're using 20 ft lengths for the column verticals.

Christine could settle this by asking them what size the rebar is, or she could even look at the identification on the bars herself.

http://www.dot.state.il.us/materials/rebarguide.pdf

See page 4.

OTOH

If a bale of cotton weighs 500 lb (according to the National Cotton Council of America), how much does a bale of nits weigh?

... although "bend down, turn around and pick a bale of nits" doesn't really scan that well.