On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 04:58:08PM -0400, Miserere wrote:

> Anybody else suffer from this affliction? Is there any known cure?

Easy - just buy used lenses.  My A* 300 and FA* 250-600 were both
well-used by the time I got them; an extra scuff-mark isn't going
to stand out like a sore thumb.  They're optically fine, of course.

I see no point in paying for lenses I'm not going to use; I bought
my camera gear to go in a camera bag, not in a display cabinet.