In an attempt to steer the bull back onto the righteous path of Pentax talk...

I saw another comparison a few weeks ago:

http://falklumo.blogspot.com/2009/06/comparative-noise-study-k-7-vs-k20d.html

and was surprised that Falk concluded the K20D had slightly better
high ISO noise. I say surprised because I looked at the images he
posted and I concluded that I liked the K-7's performance better.

Looking at Max's pics Joe linked to, I find the K-7 shows better
control of the luminance noise at the expense of chroma noise. So
better details for the K-7 at the expense of magenta blotches. Does
the K-7 have adjustable NR? I seem to remember it did. If so, then
there is probably a setting (mid or high NR) on the K-7 that will give
you images like those out of the K20D.

As somebody who does a lot of B&W, I always want higher resolution at
high ISOs rather than controlled chroma noise that kills details (like
I've seen on the Nikon D80 at high NR).

But back to the comparison; Like Jostein, I also see the K20D shots
are underexposed compared to the K-7. If all exposure values on-camera
were equal, this means the K-7 boosts the signal more than the K20D. I
would like to say this means it converts photons to electrons more
efficiently, but I don't think the chroma noise would support this
hypothesis. Another concern is that these images show different
behaviour in the K-7 when compared to those by Falk (in the link I
posted above). The chroma noise is much better controlled in Falk's
camera, and while his K-7 also exposes a bit brighter than the K20D,
the difference is much less than in Max's test.

Anyone care to comment whether they see the same I do?

But more importantly: Do we really care? After all, the K-7 is new and
cool, and chicks dig it. That's why we all got into photography,
right?  :-)

 --M.

--
http://www.EnticingTheLight.com