Graydon wrote:

Pentax seems to have decided that there's no reason to go faster than
ƒ2.8 on digital.  The only exception I can think of is the DA* 55/ƒ1.4,
and it's got a sort of vast penumbra of expectation attached if it's to
serve as the APS-C 85/1.4.  (Oh, wait, DA 70/2.4 Ltd.)

I'd like to see some much faster medium -- 100 to 150 mm -- teles; at
the 77mm filter size, they ought to be able to do a 100/1.4, a 135/1.8
(just squeaking, but that's the size listed for the A* 138/1.8), or a
150/2; a DA* 150/2 Macro would be especially welcome.

Oh man! I'd be willing to walk barefoot across crushed glass (SMC or otherwise) to get a DA*135/1.8.

I think Pentax has just decided that *most* people would prefer glass they can hand-hold (or monopod) *most* of the time. Such lenses balance nicely with smaller lighter bodies like the K-7. The DA*50-135 mounted on a K20D is just at the limit of what I can tolerate hand-holding for an hour or so. Though I imagine that a DA*135/1.8 would actually weigh less than that.

-bmw