OK, that's good way to think of it.

-----Original Message-----
From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of Graydon
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:57 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: DA 35 v. FA 31

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 01:35:17PM -0400, Desjardins, Steve scripsit:
> Yeah, I gather the 31 has that certain "je ne se qua" that not one can
> measure but many can see.  I doubt not that it exists.  But compared
> to the DA35, it's an expensive bit of français.

Do you need to take pictures in ambient light indoors at that focal
length?

If so, the FA31 is superior to the DA35 _for that purpose_, because it
will work at all and the DA35 doesn't.

Do you need to take pictures of fine colour detail in daylight? The DA35
is superior to the FA31 for that purpose, especially in the high end of
spectrum.  (Flower-purples.)

That's really all it comes down to, unless you're specifically in love
with the rendering from the 31.

-- Graydon