On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 4:21 PM, William Robb<war...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As an aside, can a person do DFS after the fact by running a long exposure
> with the cap on and then inverting it and dropping it onto a long exposure
> picture?

Yes, more or less.  I'm not sure about the "inverting it and dropping
it" bit... you want to be subtracting the raw counts from the sensor.
I'm not sure how well you can do something like that in Photoshop or
other general-audience tools.

Better yet, you take multiple dark exposures (under identical
conditions as your "real" images) and average them before subtracting.

This is standard practice in astrophotography.  It gives both better
results (from a signal-to-noise perspective), and wastes less time,
than the in-camera subtraction of a single dark frame.  That's what's
so horrible about Pentax's decision.