On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 06:05:25PM +0200, Ralf R. Radermacher scripsit:
> Graydon <o...@uniserve.com> wrote:
> > Are you sure?  I think I've seen auto-DFS with a 15s P mode
> > exposure.  There may well be auto-DFS for all exposures above n
> > seconds, where n is around 12.
>
> Whether the camera does a DFS or not depends on time and ISO. It
> doesn't at 30 sec and ISO 100 in M. It does, however, at any time and
> ISO setting in B.

Do you have any quantified idea what the cutoff points are?  (I could
figure them out for the K20D, but that's not really the issue as I
understand it.)  Somebody might be able to calculate the temperature of
concern from that.

I think that policy supports my "B could be used to take a really awful
picture" theory; at high ISO (= pushing the sensor) and long exposure (=
heat builds up), noise is a serious issue without DFS.  So somebody at
Pentax has enforced DFS for B mode, because the camera doesn't know how
long the exposure is going to be in B mode and can't do a calculation.

-- Graydon