On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 07:31:00PM +0000, 27...@comcast.net wrote:

> Auto Focus is just for that quick shot, where you just grab your camera and
> shoot.We as photographers should not be using auto focus. If you look at my
> photos on my page on Photo.net all my photos are shot with manual focus
> except the photos that say test under them, that were shot with the 70 - 200
> mm Simga lens. Now I understand when someone's eyes are not as good as they
> used to be, you will tend to use auto focus, but they do make contact lens
> and the like to improve your eyes. We as photographers and people are getting
> lazy and not using our brains.Sorry if I offended anyone on the list. I will
> admit there is times when I try the auto focus, but I go back to manual focus
> all the time...Joe
> www.photo.net/photos/pjjdxn

A lot of this applies to manual/auto focus, exposure, transmission ....

One of the things that I have a hard time learning is how to admit
when the camera can do a better job of something than I can.

Both of my DSLR bodies have katzeye screens so that I can manually
focus with reasonable accuracy. But, there are times when there simply
is not enough light for me to do a credible job with manual focus.

I also suspect that if you were to do a quantitative test, having a
person manually focus on a target 100 times and a camera auto focus on
the target 100 times, the average accuracy of the camera's focus would
be significantly better than the human.

Where autofocus falls down for me, is that it doesn't know what I want
the camera to focus on.

When my 35mm Pentax gear was stolen, 15 years ago, I replaced it with
Minolta, because my SRT-101 had not been stolen. When I got the X700,
I didn't even see the point of auto exposure.

Larry Colen             l...@red4est.com            http://www.red4est.com/lrc