On Aug 5, 2009, at 14:28 , Margus Männik wrote:

Joseph McAllister wrote:
IF the K-7 had a bubble level inside, you could expect accurate readings. But it only has a digital
IF it has a function like this, it should be accurate. At least as accurate as naked eye. K-7 is a serious tool, not a toy and inaccurate functions are decreasing it's creditability. For an average person the level is real low-tech and so they think: hey, if even the god damn level isn't accurate, there's no sense to talk about the complex functions like image processing.

True. My point was that with the price of the camera, you are not paying for a "precise" level. I understand that if the level is not accurate, the "self leveling" function is a waste of time. It's something I just would not use. I have the opportunity to correct horizons in Live View, and again in Aperture if I messed up in my exposure. I know I'm not shooting slides, so I take advantage of the fact that the camera gives me 10% more image than I can see through the finder. I almost always crop to some extent, and straighten using Aperture's infinite rotation capability.

As far as the K-7 goes, the sensor has the capability to move in any direction to some degree, with a pre-determined "home" point. I imagine that that home point can be set to most any orientation via some connection to the bottom multi-pin connector. There are far to many pins there for just battery, shutter button, and the other buttons contained on the Battery Grip. I think it allows a factory diagnostic instrument to be connected and many parameters of the camera's firmware that are not available to the user to be set. Using that, there is no reason the sensor, the "bubble" and the Live View grid can't all be made to agree with the optical image in the viewfinder.

Joseph McAllister
Pentaxian

http://gallery.me.com/jomac
http://web.me.com/jomac/show.me/Blog/Blog.html