From: Thomas Bohn
On Aug 8, 2009, at 1:16 PM, mike wilson wrote:

> "Toshiba recommends Windows Vista Ultimate" yet not one of the > netbooks uses it.....

What's these "Windows" everybody talks about these days? Something to look through, something to eat?

I would like to know, if Windows 95 had failed, how OS/2 would look like today.

So would a lot of us.

My own guess is it would look a lot like Linux does.

Supposedly the next version of Windoze - Windoze 7 I believe - is supposed to be a lot better than Vista. Of course, that's what they said about Vista.

The main problem I have with Vista is I don't see any improvement in performance over XP. In fact, in my view performance degraded with Vista.

What I understood and knew how to do doesn't work anymore. And the new steps I've had to learn take more work. What I used to be able to do in two steps now takes three steps, PLUS I have to confirm numerous times before it will actually do what I want it to do.

All I see is changes introduced for no other reason than to make Vista incompatible existing XP applications, so that if you were a Micro$oft shop you had to "upgrade" everything, even though the "upgrade" added no new functionality.

Micro$soft is too impressed with their own cleverness. They somehow got an idea into their head that if they hadn't come up with an idea, it wasn't needed, and anyone who wanted to do something they didn't think of first had to be actively thwarted.

OTOH, most of what I really need to do to manage a computer I could accomplish using Windoze 3.1's file manager.

Hmmm ... looks like I got some time on my hands now. Anyone had success running PhotoShop on a Linux box? Even if you're having to use some Windoze compatibility mode.

I might just give it a try. I've got a couple of computers I'm not actively using right now that might be used for experiment.