On Aug 9, 2009, at 8:29 AM, Joseph McAllister wrote:

That may have had more to do with the DVD you rented.

Well, my guess is, Disney set up a weird new copy protection sheme, which prevents the disc from being played on computers.

But I get from observation of claims that DVDs are made to only play in a certain area of the world. Don't remember what that scheme is called.

Regioncode. The US and Canada are Region 1, Europe is 2. My Mac is set to Region 2. So I can't play DVD's from the US or Canada.

Or, as I said, the rental agency may have given you a non-universal DVD that would play anywhere.

When an DVD needs another regiosetting, the software will ask you to change the region. You can do that five times, after that you need to go to Apple and reset, so you can change the region five times again. It is simply a ridiculous sheme.

I use Apple's software DVD Player, that comes with OSX, at all times, cause it works at all times, for me,

"Pirates" was so far the only film which didn't work.

They now have software for the Mac that will do the same thing — make backup copies of your personally owned DVDs. (wink wink nod wink wink) ;-p

Yeah, Handbrake does a wonderfull job in doing a backup copies of my favorite DVD's.

Thomas