Hi Thibouille,

Thibouille wrote:
I thought that about 100 Euros for that was maybe a bit steep but
realized I could make a better investment and got myself a Garmin
Gpsmap 60cx. The exact model isn't important of course.
IMO paying 250 Euros for a device I can use while cycling, driving a
car, walking, can find a route and show a mapis a better deal than gps
logger (just my thoughts).

I was faced with a similar thing when I went to Bulgaria last year. I ended up with a Garmin eTrex (forget which model, maybe Legend). The eTrex line is intended for people out in the landscape, rather than on the roads, so it doesn't have much road map in the default set, and it doesn't talk your directions to you. But it logs and has better topo maps built in than the car ones. The best part was finding free high detail maps for Bulgaria created by Bulgarians for the specific purpose of giving them away!

Using GPSbabel (freeware) to extract the log out of the device is very
easy and Houdahgeo (about 25 dollars) for tagging the pictures
automaticaly based on the tracklog is easy as well.

I used GPicSync, which does both steps at once. It's a Google Code project and is free under the GPLv2.

PS2: some car GPS devices can be hacked as to keep a tracklog even if
they are not supposed to.

The problem I found with the ones meant to be put in a car was battery life when they weren't hooked up to the car's power. The ones I looked at had ratings in the range of five to ten hours on batteries. The one I got was rated for 18 or 20 hours, and when I put lithium AAs in it I got about 50 hours of use out of a set.

--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)