>There are multiple solutions, including some small devices
>(mouse-like) which became quite commoncalled gps loggers and full
>featured GPS devices.

Another GPS device could be your cell phone. More and more of them does have a
GPS built in.

I have made a small and easy to use gps logger for Windows Mobile smartphones.
It log in standard gpx format.

A version for touch screen based devices are here:
http://download.heime.org/GPSlogger_setup.CAB

And a version for smartphone without touchscreen are here:
http://download.heime.org/GPSlogger_Smartphone_setup.CAB

Both are free to use. I have tested it on HTC phones. My HTC S740 can log for
up to 8 hours on a full battery.

Stig Vidar