Bran,

When I was facing a large range of lighting conditions while
travelling with my K10D I tended to use SV mode so I could select the
ISO and the aperture as needed.  It was the most versatile mode for
changing conditions and having instant access to the ISO certainly
gets you used to changing it.

Leon