On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Tony Cogan <tonyco...@cox.net> wrote:

> Now I need to replace it - for less money than I would prefer to spend.  How
> do you people think it compares with the Sigma 70-300 f4-5.6?  Is there a
> different lens to consider in the under-$250 price range?

Tony,

I've been very happy with the optical performance of my FA 80-320:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9100...@n06/606764596/in/set-72157600457052308/

but I find it very slow and uncertain to focus, which makes it very hard to
use for things like airplane shots, one of my main uses (if it loses focus
lock, like because you tracked to an empty piece of sky, it is likely to
seek through its entire range of focus several times, veeerrrryyy slooowwly,
before re-locking).

But it's a really, really cheap lens and certainly worth what I paid for it.

I have no experience with the Sigma though.

HTH,
david