Doug Franklin wrote:

On more modern cars, or older cars with more recent glasswork, it can also "cause" some weirdness in the rendition of the glass. It wasn't much of an issue before the 1980s or so, but after that, auto glass often has some sort of coatings on it, presumably for glare reduction. I've gotten some really bizarre responses from modern autoglass, with and without polarizing filters.

As a follow-up, I'll dig around and see if I can find some examples. A very basic, and probably mis-informed, description would be that it's along the lines of colored Newton Rings, I think, as the polarization of the filter interacts with "selective reflection" by the coated glass. Sort of a moire effect in the frequency domain.

--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)