The DA* 60-250 seems to have less initial problems than did the earlier DA* lenses. And Pentax took their time with it. Well worth the wait, I'd say.
Paul
On Aug 27, 2009, at 8:51 AM, Graydon wrote:

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 10:24:18AM +0200, Eckehard Wegner scripsit:
My worry is I am not sure where Hoya is taking Pentax. I don't mind
paying more for more but my impression is they are asking more for
less right now. The combination of low wage country assembly, end user
quality control,

Anyone on the list got actual stats?

While there have been some issues, the combination of broad innovation
-- something new to the camera industry -- and new assembly staff, who
don't have the depth of experience, will necessarily hammer quality
control.  No evidence that Pentax has been having excessively *bad*
quality control issues under the circumstances, or that the trend isn't
in the right direction.

outsourced service, R&D and marketing budget cuts,

Are you sure there have been R&D cuts?

increasing times to market and last minute component changes is making
me nervous. It all looks to me like footprint reduction for the sake
of short term profitability to make the unit attractive for potential
partners. Nonetheless, there is no alternative for me; affordable
weather sealing is a killer feature in my book.

Or it's "let's not go broke".

Digital means that there will be about as many camera makers left
standing for niche cameras -- which is any camera that isn't in a phone
-- as there were manufacturers of film in the film days.  Which, in
turn, means that Pentax *must* get a partner or partner to continue.
It's not a "we would like to"; it's a "we absolutely must".

-- Graydon