Yes, positively little to no protection to be had from the double
layer of cardboard plus nylon pouch that my lenses all came in,
couldn't agree more. The box of the replacement DA* 16-50 collected
personally from Pentax Hamburg showed signs of having gotten wet over
half the surface area of the top lid. Wouldn't know what that would be
consistent with, probably a case for transport forensics. But I really
never thought of it that way; you sure have a point, Graydon
Cheers
Ecke