I like to get there well ahead of the ceremony, and take some pix of the site
at my own pace.

When I see the pro, if he or she has an idle moment, I introduce myself, and
explicitly assure them that I will stay out of the way.  Then I do just that.

I try to get an aisle seat for the ceremony, but I stand up and sit down when
everyone else does.  Since the K10D makes a racket, I don't use it during quiet
or music bits.

This has worked very nicely.  Often the pro has come up to =me=, during a lull,
just to have a photographic chat.  When my brother got married several years
ago, I ran out of film during the reception; the pro sidled over as I rummaged
through my bag, with my PZ-1p open on the table in front of me, and held out
her hand with three rolls of Tri-X in it.

I've gotten some photos that I (and others) have been happy with, too:

http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=865503

Oh, yeah... I've also had fun.

Rick

http://photo.net/photos/RickW