I see Pentax in as many places as Olympus.
Paul
On Sep 5, 2009, at 6:45 PM, P. J. Alling wrote:

Yes, but technical viability is different from sales viability. I see a lot of E-450 and E-620, (OK, maybe E-5XX bodies), in big box stores. However I've never seen a K-2000/K-m body in any of those stores. It's difficult to comparison sell Josephine Six-Pack, on a smaller lighter camera if you can't actually compare it to the competition. People will buy what's available. In other words, 'Any idiot can buy a low end Canon/Nikon/Sony/Olympus DSLR, it takes a special kind of idiot to seek out Pentax.

Adam Maas wrote:
I'm unsure of 4/3rds viability long-term. I suspect strongly that the
lower-end 4/3rds DSLR's will be killed off by Micro4/3rds and the
higher-end line will be on life support and exist mostly to fill in
the gaps for Micro-4/3rds users.  4/3rds simply hasn't been able to
capitalize on the promise of smaller lenses and cameras. As a
practical matter Pentax simply dominates the small DSLR segment,
offering a true compact system in the K-m/DA Limiteds, a compact
high-performance system with the K-7 and DA Limiteds where Olympus
actually has some of the larger available crop-format DSLR's (the E-3,
E-30 and E-520 are all among the largest entries in their respective
segments, the E-450 and E620 are only the smallest when considered
without a mounted lens, the K-m/DA40 package is smaller than either of the compact E-series bodies paired with the 25 pancake, their smallest
configuration)

I think that Micro4/3rds has a strong future ahead of it as it's
getting the chance to build serious market share before there's any
real competition in its segment.

-Adam