Hi Aleksander!

To your question on focus confirmation - I think manual focus with
manual focus body (ie with high magnification finder, 0.9 and up, and
split-image focusing aid) is much much more precise than ANY autofocus
system on the market. If you have failing eyes though (I wear glasses,
so I know how annoying it is to see tru finder with them), AF is of
course more precise than your eyes, unless you wear a contact lens.
Point is, the eye can resolve more detail than any AF sensor in the
lens. So you can focus more precisely. Of course, often more slowly as
well.

For this reason, I have installed a MZ-M split-image focusing screen
in my SFXn instead of the plain matte AF screen. Let me tell you, the
split image makes a whole world of difference in manually focusing
lenses, especially at longer distances!!! It could work as well in
MZ-S, if only:
1) it had compatible interchangeable screens with earlier Pentaxes
2) if the spot metering system worked trough the mirror, NOT trough
the prism (like in PZ1p). I think modern spot metering systems use
semi-silvered mirror anyway, I don't know why they did otherwise with
PZ1p.

The MZ-M obviously doesn't have user-changeable screens, but in fact,
the replacement screen that can be talked/bribed out of Pentax repair
men is the same format as other interchangeable screens! So it fits
into PZ1p, SFXn, perhaps even older bodies...

Obviously, bad points would be that you won't see the other focusing
points frames.

Perhaps it's only a silly idea, though :)

>> The viewfinder was a big disapointment too - it is much smaller and
>> even darker than my 25 years old KX!

MO> Come on, Aleksander, don't be so harsh. :) AF cameras don't have big
MO> magnification. I mean, of course you are right, but those days when
MO> cameras had big viewfinders are - unfortunately - gone. Even F5 has
MO> the same magnification as MZ-S -  0,75 that is. And many other
MO> cameras have even smaller one.

Over the years, AF cameras finders diminished - SFXn has 0.81
magnification, MZ-S 0.75 - go figure :)