From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of
Bruce Dayton
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 3:01 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: Medium Format Film Processing

Then be prepared for continued headaches and frustrations that will only
get worse.  I sold all my 67 gear some time back.  I had two 67ii bodies
and about 7 lenses.  I just couldn't see film continuing in a reasonable
manner.  I'm not saying it will go away completely, but for practical
purposes, it is about gone.  It certainly is not cost effective or
timely to use anymore.  The one exception may be if you are willing to
do it all yourself.  I suspect even the chemistry is going to become
more difficult to get and more expensive.  Maybe just some simple B&W.

--
Bruce

Tuesday, September 22, 2009, 11:20:36 AM, you wrote:

JS> Doesn't work so well if you WANT to continue shooting film though.

JS> From: Bruce Dayton
>> Do what I did - see the writing on the wall and quit using film.
>> Frustration gone.    :)
>>

>> Tuesday, September 22, 2009, 8:23:30 AM, you wrote:
>>
>>> Helix, the local branch store where I took film, closed a while ago.

>>> About the same time, Calumet Photo opened nearby. They are a big pro

>>> outfit with outlets on both coasts. Imagine my surprise when I went
>>> to Calumet, stood by the film cooler, and asked them to do my 120
>>> roll... "Sorry sir, we don't develop film any more."
>>> WTF!
>>>
>>> I went to the smaller retailer in a different suburb and got it
>>> done. They processed the film (E6) and made scans at the same time.
>>> The 'high quality' scans are only 3-4 meg jpegs, about 2000x2500
>>> pixels. I know these are not the size that they could be, but I'm
>>> spoiled. The K20 and K7 are giving me bigger files to work with.
>>>
>>> So what should I do?
>>> I don't want to process the stuff myself.
>>> I do like checking prints or scans for good shots.
>>> I've had 5x7's made before to check them.
>>> Do I have to send the film to NYC?
>>> Can I get better scans at a competitive price and do some home
>>> printing? Suggestions welcome.
>>>
>>> Frustrated in Illinois
>>

JS> --
JS> PDML Pentax-Discuss Mail List