From: Boris Liberman
Larry Colen wrote:
> These other two are from the dozen or so I took of the grate, with
> different composition and focus points in the camera:
> Color:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/3969755144/
> B&W
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/3969753436/
>
>> The "rule" I was taught in school is the in-focus subject should be >> about 1/3 of the way into the frame.

Well, I wasn't speaking about the "rule", rather of my perception. Though of course the rule is probably some kind of generalization of perception of many people.

The second photo is better w.r.t. the rule ;-) . And I prefer the color version.

"They" say "Rules are made to be broken" ... that's why I put "rule" in quotes.

But, I was also taught that when you're going to break a "rule", you ought to have a reason, one you can explain, even if only to yourself, what you expect to achieve by breaking the "rule".

The "rules" are a starting point ... like, you got to have a box before you can think outside of it.