On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 01:31:15PM -0400, John Sessoms wrote:
> Agreed. It seems to work better when the in focus area appears to be
> more in the foreground, with the greater portion of the out of focus
> area falling behind the subject.

That was easy enough. The first is simply cropping a little off the
bottom of the image so that the top, rather than the middle, of the
grate is centered:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/3968981039/

These other two are from the dozen or so I took of the grate, with
different composition and focus points in the camera:
Color:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/3969755144/
B&W
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/3969753436/