On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 05:56:24PM +0200, AlunFoto scripsit:
> Graydon,
>
> 2009/10/6 Graydon <o...@uniserve.com>:
> > Which is what I thought I was talking about.
>
> Then I must apologise for my cheekiness.

It's quite all right -- I have had two separate eminent editors of
English-language texts suggest I do not speak English, but instead a
closely-related dialect.  I don't assume I'm necessarily making sense.

> I have also looked up what an "acyclic directed graph" is. :-)

Colloquially, "tree", yeah.  But the habit of precision creeps in,
because I've had to explain why it matters to various sullen audiences
who were finding their habitual mechanisms for doing work being changed.

Being one of those weird people who *likes* XSLT probably doesn't help.

> Curiously, I have always thought of it in terms of it being like a
> "food web", from my long gone days of biology...

That's not too far off, though a food web is going to (usually) have
multiple paths; almost everything eats mice. :)

> > Maintaining a taxonomy of labels, long-term, is a lot more work than
> > most people expect it to be, I find.  Rather like terminology for
> > indexes and similar, even if you don't have to translate it.
>
> absolutely.
> Speaking of translation, one of the tasks we're trying to tackle is to
> provide information to the public in all EU/EEA countries on medicines
> approved for sale in each country, with all associated data and
> possibilities to view the information in all available languages. From
> Greek to Icelandic. :-)

A conceptually simple matter with XML. :)

(I did a documentation-to-22-languages setup using an XML vocabulary for
technical authoring; I was pleased to discover that, aside from the
translators, it really *was* conceptually simple.)

> Not a lot of data in there yet, but you can have a go at
> http://www.eudrapharm.eu

The absence of aspirin rather weirded me out. :)

> When you get to the Advanced Search screen, all the drop-down lists in
> there are examples of dynamic vocabularies that has to be maintained.

You could just default "target species" to human, you now, and save a
whole page template. :)

-- Graydon