On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 03:18:45PM -0400, Miserere wrote:
> 2009/10/11 Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com>:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Question 1: What is it that is different about the 77 that makes it
> > such an amazing lens for shooting portraits?
>
> >From what I've gathered reading a number of secret internal memos and
> looking at the original optical diagrams...what makes the 77 Ltd so
> special is Japanese pixie dust.
>
> I think they ran out of it a few years ago, so I don't think they were
> able to use it for the DA* 55.

I'm sorry. Again I apologize for stating things unclearly. It's
something that I was thinking about on my drive home from dancing, and
I didn't get enough sleep (or any actually) before posting.

I'm not so concerned with the mechanism of how it's done. I'm not
planning on making any lenses for my pentax from scratch. I was
curious about which quality in particular, or if you prefer, aspect of
its personality: contrast, bokeh, whatever.

I'm also curious whether the 55/1.4 shares this personality trait, or
if it's more like the 50 or the 31.

    lrc

Larry Colen             l...@red4est.com            http://www.red4est.com/lrc