AlunFoto wrote:

Absolutely. That's one accessory I envy the Nikonians, a GPS unit that
writes directly to the recorded files.
Some GPS synching software will write out XMP sidecar files to go with
PEF, or write directly into the DNGs. That's not too bad either. :-)

Actually, I would generally prefer to have my separate "hiker's" GPS unit, unless all that same functionality was accessible through the camera's interface. /Actually/, even if the functionality was there.

While a camera-specific GPS that writes to the EXIF data would be nice in some ways, I think I'd rather have some sort of "generic" data interface on each that allowed a normal GPS to provide the camera with the positional data. The odds are, it'd end up as some sort of "neither fish nor fowl" device, with an abysmal operator interface.

So many of these things get to be like clocks ... every blasted device I have wastes time and processor power and battery life by, well, keeping time. I don't need a clock on every freakin' device I own. Especially since the airwaves are filled with time references. If you've been messing about with personal computers long enough, you'll remember the early days of Windows when darned near every program showed a freakin' clock on the screen, wasting space, memory, compute, and power.

Drove me even battier than I started out then, and continues unabated. Creeping Featuritis. Blech.

<aside>
I've recently decided that I prefer the term "operator interface" to "user interface", in no small part because it reflects the sounds I so often make when presented with the abominations that pass for interfaces. :-)
</aside>

--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)