What sort of access do you want to those pictures, and when you say 'roll
the pictures off', what do you mean - are you moving them from the laptop's
internal disk to an external disk and also deleting them from the LR
catalogue, or are you keeping them in the catalogue?

When you import files into LR it adds an entry for each file into its
catalogue. The entry includes a preview of the photograph. You can choose
the resolution of the preview. The catalogue entry also includes a pointer
to the place on disk where the picture is stored. If you move the file
outside of LR to another disk then LR won't be able to find it, but it will
still have the catalogue entry and the preview data. You can continue to use
this for everything except the Develop module.

An option you could consider is to keep the catalogue on the internal disk,
but use external disks to store the photographs. Then very year you just use
a new external disk. The catalogue retains continuity and if you do need to
use the Develop module for any of the photos on disconnected external disks,
just reconnect them.

Bob