Paul Ewins wrote:

> The resolution is too poor for 35mm and my only MF camera is a 6x9 folder so
> its not much good to me for anything other than 4x5. I've decided to sell it
> and put the money towards a flatbed with a transparecy adapter - hopefully
> the drop in sharpness and dynamic range will be compensated by the increase
> in resolution.

 Try looking at Agfa's multiformat scanners; the Duoscan series and the Arcus
1200.  I am not sure how they would compare with a flatbed.

 I have the Arcus 1200 and it will take 35mm mounted or unmounted in strips
(also handles true panoramas eg xpan), 6x6, 6x7, 6x9 or 4x5 in the trays, or
any size & shape you like up to 8x10 on the glass plate.  Unfortunately there's
not really any direct provision for 6x4.5.  The downside of scanning 120 is that
you have to cut it into individual frames, but that doesn't concern me too much
as I mount my good 6x7 slides.  The slide tray sits inside the scanner so you
don't get Newton rings as you can with glass plates (I've paid for some
shocking scans from a Duoscan T1200).

 It also does prints and the software's nice once you select the right colour
profiles.  But the resolution is still a bit on the low side; 1200x2400dpi optical
and you do need to learn how to unsharp mask.  But it is cheap for what it can
do (when I bought mine it was about US$700 I think) so you can't expect too
much :)

Cheers,

- Dave

David A. Mann, B.E. (Elec)

"Why is it that if an adult behaves like a child they lock him up,
 while children are allowed to run free on the streets?" -- Garfield