----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Franklin"
Subject: NAS

Have any of the PDML faithful tried using Network Attached Storage (NAS) for their photo archive? I'm considering putting together a 1TB or so NAS box or device to live on my at-home 1GBps Ethernet LAN. Right now, I'm keeping the archive on a set of external (eSATA and USB) hard drives. I'm finding that it'd be convenient to keep a copy online all of the time. I've been happy with the 4-drive RAID 10 in my main machine, but I want to put the online archive on a separate box of some sort. Any recommendations on gear to get or to avoid? I'm thinking I'd do another 4-drive RAID 10 setup with 500 GB (or maybe 1TB) drives commodity 7200 RPM SATA-II drives.

This doesn't count as an NAS, but I've had a Drobo ticking away quite happily for a year and a half or so with no problems at all.

William Robb