Sylwester Pietrzyk wrote:
Dnia 28 października 2009 2:57 Doug Franklin <jehosep...@mindspring.com>
napisał(a):

Have any of the PDML faithful tried using Network Attached Storage (NAS) for their photo archive?
Here is a site that you may find interesting:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/
Performance difference between various NAS solutions can be very big, and it is worth considering before buying one, especially if you want it to use for photo archiving. I believe that Synology, QNAP and Thecus are leaders now, with Synology having arguably the best UI for management.
Cheers,
Sylwek

Thanks for that link, Sylwester. A good resource.

For any Mac users here using or about to use a NAS, I have some advice. If the NAS offers native Apple Filer Protocol as a connection method, use that in preference to Windows protocols (ie SMB). I have found that the Mac Finder will frequently go into conniptions and freeze up or otherwise get snarky when sharing files over Windows shares.

I run a FreeBSD server as a NAS and when I added the Netatalk package and enabled AFP (over TCP), all my random Finder issues disappeared.

-bmw