Monday, January 14, 2002, 1:14:41 PM, Leonard wrote:
PL> In truth, there are really no e-mail programs that are even close to being
PL> invulnerable. The only reason Microsoft's products seem to have more
PL> problems is because of the number of attackers concentrating their efforts
PL> on Microsoft products.  The Government and the news media have so demonized
[...]
PL> right now, mainly because it is not overly popular.  If the majority of
PL> people using e-mail switched to Pegasus, then the weaknesses of Pegasus
PL> would be quickly exploited and the viruses, trojans, and worms would
PL> continue to plague e-mail users.

Hi Len,
   I really didn't want to start another Micro$oft bashing/defending
   thread! so please don't continue it here, please! sorry for
   bringing it up in the first place. Let's continue off-list, ok?

   Now to your remarks - of course it is true (the part about nothing
   being invulnerable, OTOH I feel that M$ soft is just more
   vulnerable than other products, what's more - easily vulnerable).
   BUT M$'s wanting to monopolize everything will result in just that
   - one virus killing all. That's natural selection - the diversified
   population survives, but homogenic population is easily destroyed.
   If all people were using products OF ANY ONE COMPANY (not
   necessarily M$), an attack or simple computer error could kill
   everything. Even if communication would be a little bit more
   difficult between diversified products, it is very well possible -
   look at internet, mailing. There are mailers on Linux, Unixes,
   Windoze, OS/2, Macs,even Acorns <g> all communicating together but
   as a whole much less vulnerable to one attack - the attack would
   have to take into account ALL the OS & soft differences which would
   make it so cumbersome to live any long. That's why I am against any
   monopoly in the software world (let's say it, it's not a monopoly,
   it's a TOTALITY. Coming from a state which had for 40 years
   totalitarian regime, I can SEE VERY WELL the SAME SIGNS in
   MICROSOFT's attempts).

   My 0.2 Kc,
      Frantisek Vlcek

      Now please, if any want to respond, let's take it off-list, ok?