Larry Colen wrote:
I was having so much fun taking pictures on my drive home, that by
1:30 or so I was still fifty miles south of Los Bano and had to pull
over for a nap. After my nap, while I was adding nitrates to the soil,
I noticed how cool Orion looked juxtaposed with a telephone
pole. After I got some frames of that, a couple other things caught my
eye.
It was about quarter of three, I was 50-100m down the road, just
finishing up, when I noticed a cop car parked next to my car. He had
stopped to make sure that it hadn't been abandoned. The laptop on the
seat assured him of that.  He was, however, utterly perplexed at what
someone was doing, at that time of night, in the suburbs of nowhere,
taking pictures. The phrase "But what are you taking pictures *for*?"
kept coming up.

I asked him if he ever took pictures just because they were pretty?
Nope.
Do you paint?
Nope.
Make music?
Nope.

Would you like to see them?
OK.

We got to my camera just as the bracketed set was finishing up, and I
put one of the shots on the display.

"Cool!"

I've narrowed the myriad of bracketed shots from that session down to
14, I still have some work to do:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157622649186149/

Unfortunately, there seems to be a bit of dust on the sensor, which
I've cropped out in a couple of them:

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157622649186149/

That is the best story I've read in a while. Many times, while adding nitrates to the environment, I've had philosophical thoughts. Never been in an opportunity when I could share my thoughts with law enforcement.

der...@iinet.net.au
http://members.iinet.net.au/~derbyc