> Larry Colen wrote:

> It seems as if nominal exposure is somewhere between 10-25 seconds at
> f/1.8 and ISO 400. However, I just have to bracket the hell out of
> each shot, and then pick the best when I get home.
>
> Digital is wonderful though because I can at least get into the right
> ballpark by looking at the display. When you're bracketing 20 second
> exposures, with 20 second noise cancelling wait periods, it's very
> easy to spend half an hour just trying to nail the exposure by
> bracketing a shot.
>
> I did figure out last night that I can save a lot of time by cranking
> the ISO up to 3200 to figure out the nominal exposure and composition,
> then crank it down  and bracket at 100-400. Beyond ISO 400 and the K20
> gets too noisy for the long exposures.
>
> That reminds me, I did some test shots with both the K20 and the K100
> to see how the K100 did in comparison.
>
> I have come to the realization that I want a D700 with a 35/1.4 and a
> 50/1.4 or maybe even a 50/1.2.  Maybe, by the time I can afford one,
> Pentax will have something with that level of high ISO performance.
>
> The problem is, that for night photography, assuming the 35mm form
> factor, I'd pretty much need "full frame" in order to get in the range
> of f/1.4 with a 30ish mm on a 35mm angle of view. I don't know of any
> 20mm f/1.4 lenses. At least not affordable by mere mortals.

Thanks for this. It is one thing I really want to try my hand at. For a
variety of reasons, I've not been further than seven miles from my house in
the last two years, and there is a limit on what you can find to take
pictures of that is new. However, with some work I've had done to the house,
the view has come to me so I will experiment with some long exposure
photography - especially as I've just found my tripod again.

Malcolm