paul stenquist wrote:

On Nov 12, 2009, at 7:28 AM, Mark Roberts wrote:

Scott Loveless wrote:

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 7:29 PM, Bran Everseeking
<bran.everseek...@sasktel.net> wrote:

A friend twittered this and I found the facebook part to be true at
least.

http://www.pdnpulse.com/2009/11/warning-facebook-and-myspace-strip-photo-copyright-data.html

Using Facespace and Mybook for photo hosting is silly.  People
uploading anything more serious than snapshots of their drunk friends
drinking drinks really need to find somewhere else to host their
photos.  Picasa and Flickr are free, easier to use, and allow the
photographer to specify copyright.  I'm not making excuses for the
abysmal behavior of Tom Anderson and Mark Zuckerberg, but calling
oneself a photographer and then telling all their friends to check  out
their slammin' pics yo! on Facebook is, well, dumb.

Quite right. And however much I suspect the motives of anything
Facebook does, I'm pretty confident the stripping of metadata is
mainly to conserve storage space and bandwidth (the same reason
Photoshop's "Save for Web" module strips metadata).

Exactly. I strip metadata from every photo I show on the web, primarily because I use PS "Save for Web." I show some photos on Facebook, because I have a lot of friends there who want to see them. They're lo-res pics that are useless for anything other than web display, and anyone who might want one for a website wouldn't purchase it anyway. However, I have sold some hi-res images because the lo-res version was shown on the web. Facebook's policy isn't a big deal. Like you, I don't like everything they do, but I enjoy being able to connect with long-gone friends from all over the planet.
Paul

====using marnie's reply style :- ==================  ann writes:====

I got back on facebook only at the request of a friend or two
and it is useful for a few things - followed Mark's lead in "unchecking everything" in the profile settings.. etc., and don't put photos there much... made them low res if I did.

I never use "save for web" anymore.. because then I've lost info I need as well as the copyright stuff.

I donated 6 photos of Scrabble players to Wikipedia entries about them and I may do a few more that someone asked me for, but there all one's copyright stuff is in the metadata and even more info about the files. There is an elaborate licensing thing involved - but I've got my watermark on all the photos as well (tiny, but there). It occurs to me , however, that ebay may likewise strip the metadata from the images i use there for
sales...but with those I always put "annsan scan" on the bottom.

ann
http://annsa.smugmug.com