From: Jim King
Bob Sullivan wrote on Mon, 30 Nov 2009 12:33:49 -0800
> Just vote with your feet, or dollars in this case.
> No more tourist dollars for London because you can't use a camera > there.
> When that starts to happen and becomes known as a reason why,
> all the rules will relax.   Regards, Bob S.

That's my take on dealing with this problem too. But how do we make sure that those in charge of tourism are aware that we are boycotting London because of harassment of photographers? Do we need to orchestrate a public boycott, with media fanfare and all?

Regards, Jim

The British have an idea I think we should adopt here in the states with regard to terrorism laws. Theirs requires an appointed monitor to make a PUBLIC annual report on how the law is used.

It's quite interesting aside from the remarks about photographers referenced in Amature Photography:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Carlile_warning_must_not_be_ignored_says_photo_rights_lawyer_news_284703.html

http://tinyurl.com/yz8quy8

A couple of things I noted wading through the entire 92 pages ...

* There appear to be some provisions where once a person is charged, they must prove their innocence rather than the government having to prove they're guilty.

* In Metropolitan London there are 8,000 - 10,000 PER MONTH reported Stop & Search procedures under Section 44. That means as many as 120,000 per year JUST in London. As far as I could determine, there were ZERO instances where such a Section 44 Stop & Search resulted in catching a terrorist.

At least, there were no instances I could find in the appendices indicating anyone had been charged as a result of a Section 44 stop.

* Section 55 also turned out to be interesting. It's an offense to recruit persons for training in weaponry, explosives ... even if the training is to take place on foreign soil.

Which you know my perverse sense of humor immediately set me off looking for instances of images, possession of which, might make you guilty under Section 55. Didn't take long to find 'em either.

http://tinyurl.com/yl2b4c9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z2fVNnI6ms