On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 3:40 PM, John Francis <jo...@panix.com> wrote:

> That depends.  As with dogs, purebreeds have shorter lifespans.
> A typical lifespan for an otherwise healthy mixed breed would be
> 12-15 years, but there is considerable variation even there.
> I've had a couple of cats that didn't make it to eight (although
> each of those had other medical problems), and three that made
> it past twenty (one managing to attain the age of twenty-five!).
> Currently my oldest is 15, but she's failing - I don't know that
> she'll make it another year.  There again, I said the same thing
> twelve months ago; time will tell.

When I was married we had a Devon Rex who passed on due to congestive
heart failure at about 12.  Vet said that was quite normal for a
purebred.

I currently (she's still at my ex', but I hope to have her back in a
month or two - long story) have a mixed breed cat who's 20 (or
possibly even 21 - when I got her in '96 her previous owner said she
was "6 or 7, I can't remember which".  She's in remarkably good shape
for her years.  Alert, still jumps relatively well, runs about every
so often, even plays once in a while (when she feels like it every few
days or so).  Might have a bit of arthritis in her rear hips and her
kidney and liver counts are high (but not shockingly so according to
the vet), but for her age she's doing great.

Longest relationship I've had with a female (who isn't a blood relative)...

cheers,
frank