On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 09:59:22PM -0500, Doug Franklin scripsit:
> John Francis wrote:

>>> For some reason, I have it in my head that the average lifespan for
>>> pet  cats is a couple of years longer than for pet dogs.
>>
>> That's because they are smaller.  Seriously (albeit slightly tongue-in-
>> cheek; different species are not directly comparable).  But large dog
>> breeds have, generally speaking, shorter lifespans than smaller breeds.
>
> Hmmm. That seems strange, to me.

The default dog is quite small; 10 to 15 kg.  Moving away from that via
selective breeding tends to introduce issues that there hasn't been
enough time for natural selection to remove, especially since people
keep up the selective breeding.

> Again, going by biology classes a lot  more years ago than I'd really
> care to admit, I thought that larger  species typically lived longer
> than smaller species, when considered on  the "gross scale", like
> hamster versus cat/dog versus horse rather than  hamster versus mouse.

There's a roughly constant number of heartbeats per lifetime in mammals.
Smaller critters have much higher heart rates so much shorter lives.

There are exceptions to this curve; humans live about three times longer
than we "ought" on the basis of that relation between heartbeats and
lifespan.  (Heavy selection pressure for cultural transmission,
probably.)

Dogs, though, are skewed by the selective breeding; the default dog
lifespan is probably whatever Asian pariah dogs (which are probably
pretty close to the default dog) manage.

-- Graydon