2009/12/5 Igor Roshchin <s...@komkon.org>:

> It appears to me that K7 is much less forgiving (compared to *ist DS)
>  with respect to noise in case of underexposed shots.
>
> My osbservation is that a photo shot with K7 at ISO 200 shows
> considerable noise in the shadows if the exposure is bumped by
> 0.75-1.00. The noise is at the level that cannot be removed by
> "Noise Reduction" function in  LR.
> (DNG, in Lightroom 2.x)
>
> Do you see similar level of noise?

There are individual differences at work here, Igor. Your
"considerable" may be entirely passable to the next guy. In my
personal experience, it's usually quite OK to bump the shadows up one
stop. I do not use neither sharpening nor NR in LR. That's for
PS/NoiseNinja.

An observation from my recent trip was that the Canon guys were very
much dissatisfied with the NR in LR. They also passed rumors that this
would be much improved in LR v3.0.

I think also that Pentax retains a lot more detail in the images at
the risk looking "noisy" compared to rival brands.

> Yet another observation that I see is that sharpening (with the
> same parameters that I used with *ist DS: Radius 0.9 or 1.0, Detail 25)
> is not as effective. I suspect it might be related to the difference
> in the pixel size. Any comments and/or practical suggestions on this?

Use a different sharpening tool? Wait for LR v3?

I find that I rarely have to do much sharpening with the K-7 unless I
downsample the image for web.

> I don't expect that there is any difference between PEF and DNG
> in this aspect, am I right?

No idea. Never shot a single PEF with K-7

--
http://www.alunfoto.no/galleri/
http://alunfoto.blogspot.com