Larry,

Well, thanks for =most= of your comments!

I had my 50/1.7 with me, but for some knuckleheaded reason it never occurred to
me to try it.  A stop or two more speed would have been helpful.

The white balance is difficult because it was mixed fluorescent and compact
fluorescent light, seasoned with a touch of cloudy daylight.  I also edited
these on my laptop on a work trip.  The solution is to render them all B&W!

Cheers,

Rick

http://photo.net/photos/RickW