I understand what you are saying but I do not agree. Up until the *istD (for me) the controls of each new generation of camera tended to build on the previous one, so learning a new camera was easy. The *istD's controls were quite a departure from the MZ-S and so meant that I had to spend extra time reading the owner's manual when I would have preferred to be out photographing.

The MZ-S control layout doesn't build on the preceding Z/PZ series.

Nor from the P or the SF series, although there does seem to be a logical progression from P to SF to Z/PZ to *ist-D and on through KxD into the new K series .

MZ & *ist (film) seem to make some kind of detour, as do the K-m and K-x.

I owned (and still do) a ZX-5N. When I got the MZ-S I found the control layout easy to understand, though I missed the shutter speed knob. But the dial for exposure compensation and auto-bracketing was clearly an evolution from the ZX-5N. A quick twist of the aperture ring takes either camera from programme into aperture priority.

I guess it all comes down to what you like and what you don't like...what you are used to and what you are not used to.

It's taken me three years, but I've finally figured out what those little twirly wheels on the *istD do and now I like them. My complaint with them is that both aperture and shutter speed are controlled with the right hand, leaving the left with nothing to do but hold the lens, if it's a prime. Its job used to be to twist the aperture ring. I worry that it might find something else to twist and get me into trouble.

I guess the solution is to only use zooms.

The *ist-D control layout does follow from the PZ-1/PZ-1p. It has the same control layout for Hyper-Program; front wheel controls shutter speed, rear wheel controls aperture.

Speaking of K-x, did I post that I ran across the K-x IN STOCK at the CompUSA/Tiger Direct Outlet Store in Raleigh? I meant to.

Seems to be plenty of them up here around Halifax!

--

Steve Sharpe
d...@eastlink.ca

http://earth.delith.com/photo_gallery.html