I think it's the tooling that costs a lot.  Once you've got the molds
for the plastic, it's cheap.

After owning a K20 for 1+ years, I bought one of the 3rd party grips.
I made sure to get one with the wheel on the vertical release as some
did not have this feature.  It works well for bigger lenses and it's
light, but still adds bulk to what you must carry around.

I question buying one for the K-7.  Battery life is good.  Battery
depletion is a soft failure.  And a spare battery is a lot smaller
than the grip.

Regards,  Bob S.