On Dec 24, 2009, at 3:56 PM, Graydon wrote:

I use a program called mutt to read email; it's a command-line only
console email application for unixes.  HTML mail gets rendered into
plain text through a text-only browser that has no awareness of what
javascript *is*, never mind support for it, and no plugin
infrastructure.

Links are displayed in a format I can open in the regular browser if I
want to; images get dropped on the floor.

-- Graydon (who is typing this using Vim; lots of people would consider
that Going Too Far)

The first "computer" I programmed (aka IBM 1470 Accounting Machine) had a board about 18"x 24" that was mounted in a rack on the side. To program you pulled out that board, 10 lbs or so, then proceed to install jumpers across the 80 columns of holes in the board. E.g., a jumper from col 7 to col 8 in row 2 would indicate that cols 7-8 were to be considered a two digit number. A jumper from col 8 to col 9 in row 3 indicated that there was a virtual decimal point between those two columns. You could do addition, subtraction, multiplication, ... And no viruses to worry about. But I moved on to job control language, then Fortran, some attempts at writing print drivers and designing menu-based interfaces for MS-DOS machines. But I moved on. GUIs and all of their associated baggage and all of the bloated word processors and their baggage, and all of the other manifestations of current computer products really are, on balance, a good thing (tm). I wouldn't say the you are "going too far" with mutt and Vim; rather you haven't come nearly far enough! ;-)

stan