On Dec 26, 2009, at 6:10 PM, AlunFoto wrote:

> eSATA is absolutely fabulous when it works. My laptop has a good
> hot-swap support for eSATA. My stationary is a little more quirky,
> allowing dismounting an remounting if the disk was present at startup,
> but not otherwise. But that's Windows. I recently read somewhere that
> OSX does not support eSATA hotswap. It may have been outdated
> information, but it could be worth the bother to check out before
> buying.

I turn drives off  or unplug them all the time. OSX issues a warning that a
device was removed and data may have been damaged. Data is never damaged. Not
once in probably 1000 removals. I also plug drives in or turn them on randomly.
OSX doesn't seem to care about that and mounts them immediately. Ignorance is
bliss:-).
Paul