On 27/12/2009, paul stenquist <pnstenqu...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I turn drives off  or unplug them all the time. OSX issues a warning that a
> device was removed and data may have been damaged. Data is never damaged. Not
> once in probably 1000 removals. I also plug drives in or turn them on
> randomly. OSX doesn't seem to care about that and mounts them immediately.
> Ignorance is bliss:-).

The potential for data loss in the case of removable drives is due to
data not being written back to the drive from the RAM cache, it
depends how the OS is configured. Windows XP and up provide an option
to optimise external drive for performance (with cache enabled) or
quick removal (cache disabled), I would assume the current Mac O/S's
have a similar configuration option. Luck comes into it too of course
;-)

--
Rob Studdert (Digital  Image Studio)
Tel: +61-418-166-870 UTC +10 Hours