----- Original Message -----
From: "Shel Belinkoff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 9:11 PM
Subject: Re: Modern RC Papers

> Huh?!  Contrasty compared to what?  Seems to me that cold
light is less
> contrasty than a condenser system, although that issue has
been argued
> by Ctein and others to not be true.  I believe he said that
there is no
> real difference in contrast between the two systems.  Of
course, I'll
> have a chance to test that soon enough <g>.

Depending on the cold light, there can be a trememndous contrast
difference with VC papers, which is what most people use.
Whether this is a good thing or not is debatable. Personally, I
use VC for the quick and dirty stuff, then go to graded FB for
the good prints.

With VC papers, the contrast is controlled by blue and green
light. We add yellow to the filter pack ( minus blue) to lower
contrast, and we add magenta to the filter pack ( minus green)
to increase contrast. Some cold light heads (some Aristo older
heads come to mind)  are quite blue, and are therefore quite
contrasty as well, when used with variable contrast paper.

William Robb