John Sessoms wrote:

>From: David J Brooks

>> They got abit testy when Frank rode his bike in the park and made him
>> stop. Out side its ok.
>
>They have a couple of annual rides. There's one called the "Bridge to
>Bridge Challenge" that finishes at the top.

Bridge-to-Bridge is a 100-mile (century) ride that goes from Lenoir,
NC to the top of Grandfather Mountain, the final two miles or so being
the famous switchback road from the front gate of the park to the top
parking lot at Linville Peak. There's 9275 feet of total climb for the
entire course.

Amazingly, there are two other century rides in the same area, the
Blue Ridge Brutal 100 and the Blood, Sweat and Gears Century
(purportedly the toughest - 13,000 feet of climb). I've done the BS&G
twice and it's truly grueling: Snake Mountain is a 5-mile stretch of
climb mostly at 9% grade but finishing with a 1/4 mile section at 18%.

>But the road to the summit is usually automobile only for safety reasons.

Mostly insurance/liability reasons from what I've been told but it
keeps bikes off the road, whatever the reason.